Thursday, March 5, 2015

Day 63 - Deuteronomy 14-17

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 63 - Deuteronomy 14-17 (How Does God Want Us To Respond To The Poor?)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

 7 "If there is among you a poor man of your brethren, within any of the gates in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand from your poor brother, 8 but you shall open your hand wide to him and willingly lend him sufficient for his need, whatever he needs.... 10 You shall surely give to him, and your heart should not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your works and in all to which you put your hand. 11 For the poor will never cease from the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor and your needy, in your land.'"  (Deuteronomy 15:7-11) 

If you are reading this devotional, you are most likely fairly well to do and feel that you have not been doing enough to help the poor.  It is quite clear from our text above that God wants you and me to help the poor whenever we are presented with the need as much as we are able to.  Jesus taught the same truth in the New Testament; He even said that whatever we do for the poor, we are also do to Him (25:34-36).

I don't know about you but I admit that I have not done enough as I could in helping the poor who God wants me to help.  I was born and raised in the Philippines where poverty is widespread.  In fact, I am here in the Philippines for a short visit as I write this short devotion.  I believe that God is calling me to start a ministry here that will eventually help my own people in their plight.  How?  I'm still not sure exactly but I know that God will gradually unfold it to me as I faithfully follow His leading in my life and ministry.

God probably will not call you to foreign missions like He is calling me but I am sure that He is calling you to be involved in helping the poor.  God will show you exactly what He wants you to do as you continue if you truly seek and ask Him.  You can start by finding out which are the reputable Christian ministries are helping the poor like Samaritan's Purse or Compassion International and by donating money to these organizations.

May God guide you as you seek out ways to obey His command to help the poor.  If you do, He promises to "bless you in all your works and in all to which you put your hand." 

No comments:

Post a Comment