Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Day 298 - Luke 10-15

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 298 - Luke 10-15 (My Father Provides All I Need)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

"So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.  If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?  Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?  If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" (Luke 11:9-13)

My wife and I are blessed to have four children, three of whom are away in college and graduate school at Pensacola Christian College in Florida.  Whenever I speak or text my children, I try to remember to offer my help for anything they may need from me.  Why?  Because I am their father and because I love them.

Jesus is telling those who are His disciples that they have a heavenly Father who loves and cares for them infinitely more than any earthly father could for his children.  Although Jesus specifically referred to thegift of the Holy Spirit in our text above, there are many other passages in the Bible that teaches that God the Father promises to give His children anything they ask in accordance to His will.

One such Scripture passage is found in John chapter 14:

                 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and                    greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.  And whatever you ask in My                    name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything in My                        name, I will do it."  (John 14:12-14)

Jesus gave the reason why the Father would grant His children anything they ask Him in Jesus' name: it is "that the Father may be glorified in the Son (John 14:13)."  Obviously, a request that is selfish or sinful cannot glorify God the Father and Son; therefore, Jesus is referring only to prayers that are in accordance with God's will such as receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit or asking for salvation.

In a couple of days, Amber and I will leave for the Philippines to start a ministry of training men who are called by God to plant churches.  It is a very daunting task especially when I think about how God has called us to a place where we do not know anyone and where we have to start from the ground up.  Yet, we could not be in better hands because my Father has assured us of His help and provision for all that we would ever need. 


No comments:

Post a Comment