Friday, October 16, 2015

Day 289 - Mark 9-12

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 289 - Mark 9-12 (The Greatest Commandment)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

"Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is: "Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one.  And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'  This is the first commandment.   And the second, like it, is this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'   There is no other commandment greater than these."   (Mark 12:29-31)


If you are reading this, it would be safe to assume that you have a desire not only to know what the greatest commandment of God is but also the desire to obey it.  So, Jesus said that the greatest commandment is this: to love the One God of Israel with everything we've got - heart, soul, mind, and strength.  I call this the Great Commandment.


How do we love God with everything we've got?  As I try to wrap my little brain around this thought of loving God with all I've got, a picture of an Olympic athlete comes to mind.  One common characteristic of all athletes going for the gold is their commitment to give everything they've got in order to win.


If there was one person apart from the Lord Jesus who loved God with all of His heart, soul, mind, and strength, it would be the apostle Paul.  In Paul's letter to the Corinthians we get a glimpse of how he applied Christ's Great Commandment: 

          "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.  And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things.  Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.  Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.  But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."  (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

If were to profess love for God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, I must be willing to discipline my body and bring it into subjection to the Lordship of Jesus Christ.  I must have the same commitment as that of an athlete going for gold.  

I cannot say that I love God with everything I've got and then say... 

                        I am too busy I have no time to read the Bible
                        I don't worship at church regularly because of family activities
                        My prayer life is weak
                        My stomach is not suited to fast
                        I can't give up smoking or alcohol

It is no different from the athlete who says he is committed to win the gold and then say...

                        I don't want to wake up early
                        I don't want to practice everyday for 8 hours
                        
You get the point.  Are you committed to love God with everything you've got? The reason it is the greatest commandment is not because it is the hardest to obey but because you and I get to return God's love for us in giving everything He had - His one and only Son - to demonstrate His own love for us.  What are you waiting for?  Go for gold and love God with everything you've got!
                        

                        
                     


No comments:

Post a Comment