Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day 119 - n1 Chronicles 12-13

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 119 - 1 Chronicles 12-13 (A Great Lesson on Leadership)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

"Then some of the sons of Benjamin and Judah came to David at the stronghold.  And David went out to meet them, and answered and said to them, "If you have come peaceably to me to help me, my heart will be united with you; but if to betray me to my enemies, since there is no wrong in my hands, may the God of our fathers look and bring judgment." (1 Chronicles 12:16-17)

When David was still a fugitive from Saul, certain officers of king Saul started defecting to him.  Now, there was no way that David could be 100 percent sure that all those who defected to him were sincere or if a few were spies of Saul.  I love David's complete trust in God to protect him from spies or traitors as recorded in our text above.

Sadly, too many church leaders today are very insecure in their leadership that they cannot trust God to protect them from insincere people in their congregation.  Rather than love even those they find unloveable, they marginalize those who they don't like and trust.  

David, rather than treat those defectors who were Saul's relatives from the tribe of Benjamin as insignificant, made them captains of the troop (verse 18b). David took the risk of being betrayed for the the greater vision of uniting the kingdom under his leadership.  That's what great leaders do.

Most people reading this blog would not be in the position of leading a church or organization but perhaps you may be the leader of your family.  If so, you and I need to apply the same principle leadership we have learned from the life of king David in our Scripture reading today.  How?  We can start treating everyone in our family with trust and respect if we have not been doing it.

"Father, please help me to be secure enough in my own leadership so that I can trust you completely to protect me from harm that others could inflict on me. Please forgive me if I have marginalized anyone in my life because of my dislike for that person.  Help me to love others as you love me.  In Jesus name I pray, amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment