Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Day 223 - Isaiah 63-66

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 223 - Isaiah 63-66 (The Person God Looks At)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

       "But we are all like an unclean thing, 
        And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags;...
        And there is no one who calls on Your name, 
        Who stirs himself up to take hold of You; 
        For You have hidden Your face from us, 
        And have consumed us because of our iniquities.         "But on this one will I look: 
        On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, 
        And who trembles at My word."         (Isaiah 64:6-7, 66:2b)

If there is one truth in the Bible that I could point at as the most important for any person understand and heed it is this: the best work of man done in his own strength is completely abhorrent to God whereas, the least work of man done in the power of the Holy Spirit is completely acceptable and pleasing to God.

In our text above, Isaiah writes that "all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" before God.  The picture of the filthy rag is not just any kind of rag but specifically the kind that women back then would use during their menstrual period after it has caught the discharge of blood.  Imagine the best act of person considered by the world as a holy man but who does not do it in the power of the Holy Spirit of God - that person's good deed is counted as soiled sanitary napkin by God!

Now, consider the thief on the cross with Christ during His crucifixion who for the most part of his life probably had not given much thought to doing any good to others - at the very last moment of his worthless life humbles himself before God in human flesh right beside him and prays for the salvation of his soul - Jesus assured him that that very day he would be with Him in paradise!

God said, "But on this one will I look: on him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, sand who trembles at My word."  Jesus repeated those same words in His famous sermon on the mount when He said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:3)."  In both instances, God the Father and God the Son were saying that those who are spiritually poor or destitute or devoid of any sinful pride but who looks to God alone for their complete sustenance are the ones whom God looks at.

I don't know about you but there is nothing in life I desire more than for God to look at me with pleasure and nothing I dread more in life than that God would consider my best work as filthy rags in His sight and nostrils.  "Dear God, thank you for sending your Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for my sins and as my substitute for the death I deserved.  Thank you that through Christ and the Holy Spirit who lives within me that I am acceptable to You and that I have inherited eternal life.  Hallellujah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment