Thursday, January 8, 2015

Day 4 - Genesis 11-13

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 4 - Genesis 11-13 (Stepping Out in Faith)

Now the Lord had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you.  I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."  So Abram departed as the Lord had spoken to him…”  (Genesis 12:1-4)

God had called Abraham to a land that He would show him, a land that Abraham has never been to and had no idea what would be doing there.  All Abraham received from God was a promise that He would make him into a great nation and that God would bless him there and make his name great.  The author of Hebrews memorializes Abraham’s step of faith:

“By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.”  (Hebrews 11:8)

Those who know God and are walking with Him in faith and in obedience hear His voice.  It is not an audible voice like Abraham heard when God spoke to him but rather the voice of God that speaks through His Word and through the Holy Spirit bearing witness with the spirit of the believer.

You may be reading this and you may know what I am talking about or you may be wondering what on earth I am saying.  Unless you have the Holy Spirit living in you and unless you are living a life of obedience you will never hear the voice of God.  Yet God desires for everyone to hear His voice and He pursues every single person He has created because He loves all people.

I can relate to Abraham’s call in our text above because God has also called me to go back to my native country, the Philippines not knowing exactly what I am supposed to do when I get there.  But I am willing to step out in faith because I do not want to miss out on the blessing that God has for me as I heed His voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment