Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Day 187 - Psalm 119:1-88

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 187 - Psalm 119:1-88 (How Can I Avoid Sin?)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

       "How can a young man cleanse his way? 
        By taking heed according to Your word. 
        With my whole heart I have sought You; 
        Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! 
        Your word I have hidden in my heart, 
        That I might not sin against You."
        (Psalm 119:9-11)

The answer to my own question in my title for this post is given by the Psalmist in our text above; it is simply this: by taking heed according to God's word.  The Psalmist further explains that to heeds God's word means to not wander from it and to hide it in our heart or to meditate on it and memorize it.

Do you find yourself unable to gain victory over a sin in your life.  The first place to examine is your devotional discipline.  Do you read the Bible at all?  If so, how often do you read it - rarely or occasionally or regularly every day as your spiritual bread?

Just as a person who does not have a regular habit of healthy eating will be physically weak (imagine someone eating only once a week), a person who feeds on the Bread of life which is God's word will be weak spiritually to resist temptation.

I found that when I started reading my Bible consistently everyday that I grew stronger spiritually and was more able to resist temptation compared to when I was not regularly keeping my daily devotion. As long as I am bound by this sinful body, I will never be free from sin, but I am assured by God that I will be kept from sin as long as I seek Him with my whole heart and not wander from His Word.

"Father, thank you for your wonderful promise to keep me from sin as long as I stay close to You and your Word.  Help me never to wander from your commandments.  Teach me to meditate on your truth and give me the wisdom to apply it in my own life.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment