Saturday, July 18, 2015

Day 196 - Proverbs 12-17

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 196 - Proverbs 12-17 (True Friendship)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

        "A friend loves at all times, 
        And a brother is born for adversity."
        (Proverbs 17:17)

I have a wooden frame that has these words written on it:  Faith, Family, Friends.  I love that because it represents precisely what I value most in life in that order - my faith in God, my love for my family, and my treasure of friends.

Solomon could not have said it better when he wrote those words above about what a friend is.  I am so blessed to have a few friends whom I know loves me at all times and vice versa.  

Solomon qualified the kind of person who is truly a friend to someone - he is a brother born for adversity.  The dictionary defines adversity as an adverse fortune or fate; misfortune; calamity.  In other words, a true friend is someone who has my back covered.

As tempting as it may be for me to ask myself who is my true friend, I know that that is the wrong question.  The right question for me to ask myself is who am I a true friend to?   Who am I willing to help whatever it is they may need from me?  Unless I am willing to be a true friend to someone, how can I expect another to be a true friend to me?  As Solomon said,

        "A man who has friends must himself be friendly, 
        But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
           (Proverbs 18:24)

"Dear God, help me to be a true friend to those few people whom You have called me to be there for them in their time of need.  I thank You for the friends You have given me.  Help me to love them much more than they love me.  Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment