Sunday, April 19, 2015

Day 103 - 1 Kings 15-16

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 103 - 1 Kings 15-16 (My Most Dreaded Word: EXCEPT)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

"In the eighteenth year of King Jeroboam the son of Nebat, Abijam became king over Judah....And he walked in all the sins of his father, which he had done before him; his heart was not loyal to the LORD his God, as was the heart of his father David.  Nevertheless for David's sake the LORD his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem, by setting up his son after him and by establishing Jerusalem; because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite."  (1 Kings 15:1-5)

Just one moment of putting his guard down when he saw the beautiful Bathsheba bathing as he walked on top of his roof changed not only the course of David's life and the life of his descendants but also changed his reputation and legacy for the rest of eternity as we read in our text above.   I am sure that if David could have reversed his life and undo his error, he would have given up anything just so he could erase the word EXCEPT from his epitaph.

Obviously, his adultery with Bathsheba and his murder her husband Uriah were not the only sins of David but those sins of David caused God's honor which David represented to be maligned; after all, David has been given the greatest honor of being the prince of Israel forever.  David's sins speaks loudly to me for the reason that I do not want to be in the place where I would wish to reverse my life and erase the word EXCEPT on my epitaph.

I do not mean to imply that I am righteous as David - by all means, no.  By God's grace and mercy, however, He has kept me since becoming His child by faith in His Son Jesus, from committing a blatant sin which would have tarnished the Name I represent as His servant and ambassador.  And because I do not wish to make the same error as David and Solomon and other heroes of faith who, because of their momentary slackness in putting down their guards, caused the word EXCEPT to be inserted in their epitaph.

"Lord, I pray that you would continue to keep me from sin and temptation and from having the word EXCEPT inserted in your epitaph on my life."







No comments:

Post a Comment