Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 106 - 2 Kings 1-2

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 106 - 2 Kings 1-2 (Is it Wrong to Ask God for a Lot?)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

"And so it was, when they had crossed over, that Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask! What may I do for you, before I am taken away from you?"  Elisha said, "Please let a double portion of your spirit be upon me."  (2 Kings 1-2)

It seems that most Christians I know, including myself, have reservations about asking God for what they think would be too much to ask.  Some reading our text above may think that Elisha was kind of selfish in asking for a double portion of the spirit of Elijah.  Wouldn't it be more spiritual if Elisha simply asked that he be given just the same portion of the spirit of Elijah?  Wasn't it a little brash of Elisha to want to exceed his master in his ministry?  Well, apparently Elijah didn't see it that way and because Elisha was granted his request, God must have been okay with it as well.

I think of another character in the Bible who made a similarly grand request of God; his name was Jabez and this was his prayer:  "And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested."  (1 Chronicles 4:10) With both Elisha's and Jabez' request, God was pleased to grant them what they asked for.  

This tells me that God is not repulsed but rather is pleased when His children ask Him for incredible things in order to do great feats for God and for God to be glorified through them.  This is such a tremendous encouragement to me because, as I've mentioned, I didn't think it was it was spiritual to ask for "too much" of God.  Now, I think that I will start asking God for more so that I can do more for Him and so that He will be glorified more through me.

"Oh God, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!  Amen." 


No comments:

Post a Comment