Friday, April 10, 2015

Day 94 - 2 Samuel 18-19)

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 94- 2 Samuel 18-19 (How Deep is Your Love?)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

"And the king said to the Cushite, "Is the young man Absalom safe?"   So the Cushite answered, "May the enemies of my lord the king, and all who rise against you to do harm, be like that young man!"  Then the king was deeply moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept. And as he went, he said thus: "O my son Absalom--my son, my son Absalom--if only I had died in your place! O Absalom my son, my son!"  (2 Samuel 18:32-33)

One of the traits I admire most in some is their ability to love deeply.  I know some people who still grieve the loss of their loved ones after many months or even years.  David was such a man.  Even though he had many children from many different women, he loved each one of them deeply.  Despite the attempt by Absalom to kill him and all those with him, he wished it was him who died when he heard the news of Absalom's death as we read in our text above.

I know that the reason I admire other's ability to love deeply is because I am lacking in this trait.  Although I do not like it, I have the tendency to move on quickly after a conflict in relationship or loss of a loved one.  I guess some people like me are not the emotional type but I wish and pray that I can love the people close to me more deeply just as David did.

I want to love more deeply because my Lord and Savior loved people deeply. Although He is God and knew that He would raise Lazarus from the dead, the Lord Jesus wept when he saw Lazarus lying dead:


         "Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled.   And He said, "Where have you laid him?"  They said to Him, "Lord, come and see." Jesus wept.  Then the Jews said, "See how He loved him!"  And some of them said, "Could not this Man, who opened the eyes of the blind, also have kept this man from dying?"  (John 11:33-38)

I know that God can help me to love others more deeply and I also know that there are things that I need to be willing to change in my own life before God does that.  For one, I need to be willing to become vulnerable to be hurt by those I love.  One reason I am not plunging all the way to love those close to me could be that I am afraid that if they hurt me or if I lose them, I will be hurt even more.  I realize that this is selfish and that it is not how God wants me to treat others.

Dear Lord, please help me not to think too much of about my own hurts and to think more about how I can love others more deeply.   


No comments:

Post a Comment