Saturday, April 25, 2015

Day 109 - 2 Kings 9-10

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 109 - 2 Kings 9-10 (The One King of Israel Who Almost Became Good)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

"Thus Jehu destroyed Baal from Israel.  However Jehu did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin, that is, from the golden calves that were at Bethel and Dan....But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart; for he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin."  (2 Kings 10:28-31) 

Jehu was among the top commanders of king Ahab's army.  God sent Elisha to annoint Jehu as king of Israel in place of the wicked Ahab.  Jehu wholly accepted his appointment and became zealous in obeying God with regards to cutting off Ahab and his whole family according to the Word of God.  But, like all the rest of the good kings except for Judah's king Josiah who we will meet soon, Jehu "took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart; for he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin."   (2 Kings 10:31)

In an earlier post, I talked about the one word which I dreaded the most which is the word EXCEPT and I referred to king David's almost unblemished record of obeying God EXCEPT in the murder of Urriah and his adultery with Bathsheba.  In Jehu's case, it is the word HOWEVER which defined his leadership and obedience to God.  As we read in our text above, Jehu was obedient in the matter of Baal, "HOWEVER, he did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin, that is, from the golden calves that were at Bethel and Dan."  (2 Kings 10:29)

As I mentioned in a recent post, the reason why I dread the word EXCEPT in the case of David and now the word HOWEVER in the case of Jehu, is that I don't want to have those descriptive words attached to my name when God writes his epitaph about my life.  The only way for me to achieve this high spiritual goal is to be completely faithful to God to the very end of my life; to my last breadth.

In order for me to be faithful to God to the very end, I know that I need to avoid any and all temptations that will come my way.  I thank God for His promise that  "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."  (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Besides God's promise that He will not allow me to be tempted beyond what I am able to bear as well as provide me an escape from every temptation, He also has given me His Holy Spirit to help me and strengthen me to resist every temptation if I fully depend on Him.

"Dear God, thank you that you have provided everything I need in order to finish this race called the Christian life well.  I pray the prayer which you have taught your disciples to pray: "Lead me not into temptation but deliver me from evil.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment