Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day 98 - 1 Kings 4-5

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 98 - 1 Kings 4-5 (Friendship)
(To View Past Posts Click: http://tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/)

"So King Solomon was king over all Israel.  And these were his officials: Azariah the son of Zadok, the priest; Elihoreph and Ahijah, the sons of Shisha, scribes; Jehoshaphat the son of Ahilud, the recorder; Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, over the army; Zadok and Abiathar, the priests; Azariah the son of Nathan, over the officers; Zabud the son of Nathan, a priest and the king's friend;..."  (1 Kings 4:1-5)

Friendship.  Many things have been written about it.  The Bible talks a lot about it.  For those who know its value, it ranks among the top three of what's most important in life - it certainly is for me.  On a wall in my living room hangs a wooden board that says, "Faith, Family, Friends".  Those three words describes what's most imoportant in my life and in the lives of the members of my family.

It is interesting to note in our text above how Zabud who was a priest and listed as one of the Solomon's officials was also described as the king's friend.  This wasn't the first time that an office of the king's friend was recognized in the Bible.  Hushai the Archite was listed as holding the office of "the king's friend" under David: "Ahithophel was the king's counselor. Hushai the Arkite was the king's friend." (1 Chronicles 27:33) 

The fact that king David and king Solomon recognized the value of a trusted confidant should make us recognize it as well.  Do you have someone in your life you can consider a true friend, someone whom you can confide your deepest secrets or struggles to?  Every person needs at least one "best" friend.  If you do have one true friend, you need to treasure that friendship as much as you treasure anything or any other person in your life.

One of my regrets in life is the friends I had whom I let slip out of my life due to our loss of contact with each other.  Fortunately, Facebook and other social media have been helping many people, including myself, to re-connect with old friends as well as keep in contact with current friends.  With all these wonderful ways to connect with friends, however, nothing can still replace the old fashioned face to face interaction over a meal or simply hanging out together.

 I am so thankful to God for the friends He has given to me and my wife.  We love and treasure our friends and it is our earnest hope and prayer that we will continue to stay connected with all of them.  "Dear God, please bless my friends and their families.  Help me draw me closer to them and may they draw close to You.  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment