Saturday, June 13, 2015

Day 161 - Psalm 1-8

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 161 - Psalm 1-8 (The Blessed Life)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

          "Blessed is the man 
           Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, 
           Nor stands in the path of sinners, 
           Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 
           But his delight is in the law of the LORD, 
           And in His law he meditates day and night. 
           He shall be like a tree 
           Planted by the rivers of water, 
           That brings forth its fruit in its season, 
           Whose leaf also shall not wither; 
           And whatever he does shall prosper."
          (Psalm 1:1-3)

Everybody wants to be blessed.  I don't know anyone who would say that he does not want to be blessed by God.  Thankfully, God tells us very clearly how you and I can be blessed by God today. God says that we are blessed when we do not associate with evil people by thinking and acting as they do but instead, our delight is in the Word of God to meditate upon it constantly.

Speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the Psalmist describes the blessed person as we read from our text above.  He is likened to a tree planted by rivers of water that brings forth its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.

I have an apple tree in my backyard which on a good year may bear one apple the size of a small plum.  I know it's pathetic but I'm giving it some more time to see if it will mature well or not.  So, to have a fruit tree in my backyard that bears forth abundant fruit in season will definitely be a picture of blessing for me.

The Psalmist adds to the description of a blessed person that whatever he does shall prosper.  When we talk about being blessed, we usually think of success in all of our endeavors.  Well, apparently, God also has the same thing in mind because He promises that the blessed man will prosper in everything he does.

I have tried to live my life for God since I became a Chrisian in 1981.  I have not always deighted in God's Word to read it everyday as my daily bread but by the grace of God, I have in recent years been able to consistently feed on His Word daily.

God is always true to His promise.  He has blessed me abundantly beyond description.  He has given me a godly wife who happens to be the kindest person I know.  God has also blessed me with four children who all love God.  God has also provided my family with everything we need and more.  To top is all, and wonder of all wonders, God has decided to call prepare me and my wife serve Him full-time in the Philippines as our two youngest children move on to a Christian college this September.

You too can experience the blessed life if you follow God's conditions as written by the Psalmist David in Psalm 1.  It is the life that God intends for you and all people to have but you need to have the will and resolve to live a righteous life and to start delighting in His Word.  Do you?

       

No comments:

Post a Comment