Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Day 180 - Psalm 88-90

ONE-YEAR JOURNEY OF THE BIBLE
Day 180 - Psalm 88-90 (How Will You Live the Rest of Your Life?)
(To View Past Posts Click: http:/tonyvicreyes1-yearbible.blogspot.com/ )

       "Remember how short my time is; 
        For what futility have You created all the children of men? 
        What man can live and not see death? 
        Can he deliver his life from the power of the grave?...
        So teach us to number our days, 
        That we may gain a heart of wisdom."
        (Psalm 89:47-48; 90:12)

Ethan the Ezrahite, who wrote the first part of our text above, acknowledges the brevity of life and pleads with his maker for help so that his life will not be futile.  I added the second part of our text right out of the next chapter (Psalm 90) written by another author, who happens to be Moses, in order to teach us the proper response to the shortness of life.

Ethan also posed a rhertorical question stating the obvious fact of life that no one can escape death.  In case you haven't heard, the statistics on death is 10 out of 10 people will die.  The big question is, "How will you live the rest of your life?" and, "Are you ready to meet with your Maker?"

I think that you will agree with me that the second question is more important.  As Jesus said, "For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Mark 8:36)"  If you lived the rest of your life making a lot of money and enjoying it too but then lose your own soul, what good is that to you?  Do you know for sure that if you died today you will go to heaven?  If not, I got good news for you; the Bible says you can know for sure that you will go to heaven.  How?  Keep reading.

The apostle John wrote, "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13)"  There you have it - God has given us the Bible so that we may know we can have eternal life.

The Lord Jesus tell us the only way we can have eternal life: " For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)" To believe in Christ means to call on Him for forgiveness and salvation.  Christ promises that whoever (includes you and all people) believes in Him will have everlasting life.

I have believed on Christ as my Lord and Savior for more than 30 years and the question that is foremost in my mind as a child of God is no longer whether I will go to heaven - that has been assured for me by Christ - but rather, "How will I live the rest of my life here on earth?"  My answer is this: I have resolved to live the rest of my life by serving God however and wherever He wants.

Are you assured of heaven too?  If so, I pray that you will resolve as I did to live the rest of your life by serving God.  A good place to start is by serving at a good Bible-teaching church.  Find one if you haven't yet; you will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment